Monday 24 February 2014

Green power smoothie recipe

On Thursday morning I was treated to a green smoothie by my aunt Miriam which combined banana, apple, kale and lettuce leaves. Always willing to try most things at least the once, I was intrigued by this vegetable mix but wasn’t sure if it was going to be for my taste buds. Oh how wrong was I!
I am converted, I love a green smoothie!!!

So at the weekend, I took myself to the local market to stock up on delicious veggies to make some of my own green creations.  
Welcome to my kale, broccoli, banana, apple and pear smoothie!

enjoying my smoothie in my messy kitchen! 

So easy to and quick to make, this is delicious and bursting full of nutrients!!!


Kale is high in fibre, iron, vitamin K, vitamin C and calcium. Plus it is low in calories. Broccoli can help regulate blood pressure and boost your overall immune system health! 




Simply, core the apple and pear, peel the banana, and trim the kale of the stalky bit and pop it into a smoothie blender and turn it on high speed to whizz it up into this tasty green delight! I added a cup of each into the smoothie but you can adjust according to your taste. Add about two cups of water too otherwise it will be too thick. 


For a touch of added sweetness, I sprinkled a generous dose of ground cinnamon into it. Cinnamon is little wonder herb in itself. 


for sweetness add cinnamon 

Much to my (pleasant) surprise, even the Boy likes this!
A fan of juicing anyway, smoothies are my new BFF when it comes to getting an added nutrient boost as you are consuming the whole fruit and therefore not wasting any of the goodness!Plus they are a whole lot more filling than juices. I added a scoop of vanilla protein powder into mine to add a bit of bulk. 

This is my first dip into the world of vegetable smoothies but I am hooked! Look out for more!!! 

X x X 

No comments:

Post a Comment