Monday 3 February 2014

Peanut butter healthy protein balls


As you have probably seen from some of my January blogs, I am on a bid to be mega healthy this year. One thing that I have started incorporating into my diet is protein powder.  I started off by sprinkling a bit into my morning porridge and every now and again, buying the odd protein bar from my local health shop, ideal for a snack on the go or on your way to the gym. But at a couple of quid a bar, they are mighty expensive! So I have had a go at making my own!

I found a recipe on PopSugar (a great website for loads of health and fitness tips) that I have amended to be less sugary, meaning I have now produced these delicious little balls of protein that are healthy yet tasty and sooo easy to make. Plus they are easy to eat on the go!


protein ball snack


To make these tasty protein snacks you will need:

1/3 cup of smooth peanut butter
¼ cup natural honey
2 scoops of vanilla or chocolate protein powder
3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed (I went for one that is a mix of flaxseed sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
1 tablespoon of organic cocoa powder
(makes 9)


I went for a mix of seeds
(make sure they are ground though)

plonk in bowl and mix 

Simply plonk all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.


Once mixed together, roll the mixture into balls(I made 9),place on a plate and leave to chill in the fridge (overnight if you can).  How quick is that!



roll into balls

After a night in the fridge, they’ll firm up nicely but without going too hard or chewy. They'll keep in an airtight container for about a week too. 

the Boy munching on a protein snack 

If you aren’t a fan of peanut butter, give these a go anyway as the Boy HATES peanut butter and he loved these.

These little balls are packed full of protein, and an easy snack to eat before working up a sweat! Plus the honey is a great antibacterial and the sunflower and pumpkin seeds are a great source of fibre, omega 3, zinc and vitamin E! Each ball is about 130 calories and 7 grams of fat. And girls, don’t be scared of protein and bulking up! Protein is a vital part of your diet and keeps you fuller for longer!

Happy snacking 

X x X 


Want to know more about the benefits of flaxseeds? Read more here

No comments:

Post a Comment