Sunday 19 April 2015

Kale and cucumber fruity smoothie recipe

Regular readers out there will know that vegetable smoothies are a new thing for me (yea I know this isn’t anything new, and I am a bit behind jumping on this bandwagon). Lately I have been loving making up some weird creations in the smoothie maker and using it as an opportunity to cram in some extra nutrients.

If you haven’t already, why not check out my blog entries on:

Today’s bright frog-coloured smoothie was made completely on a whim,  a simple case of “let’s see what is in the fridge" and bunging it in the blender. 

So what is inside???
  • ¼ cucumber
  • Generous handful of curly kale
  • 1 small pineapple
  • 2 apples
  • 1 large orange

Like finding a tenner in a pair of jeans you haven’t worn for a while, or discovering that you have just made happy hour for the post drinks cocktails, this was a pleasant surprise! Plus once made, I took to google and discovered the heaps of health benefits in this green smoothie!


trust me, all these flavours work! 


Cucumber
I always underestimate the power of this veg* because it is so watery it doesn’t ever look like it can hold much substance let alone nutrients! Totally wrong – this green thing contains vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6, folic acid, calcium, iron, potassium, zinc and magnesium!!!

Orange
Oranges are rich in vitamins A and C. Both of these vitamins support the health of your skin -- vitamin C activates enzymes needed to synthesize collagen, a protein that strengthens your skin! Perhaps this is like drinking your anti wrinkle cream then?

Pineapple
This sweet thing is low in calories, fat, sodium and cholesterol yet full of fibre, vitamin C and antioxidants!


This turns out to be quite a refreshing smoothie. Make sure you add a couple cups of water or so though otherwise you'll be drinking this with a spoon not a straw. Of course if that is how you like your smoothies, that's ok with me. 



Want more recipes? Try these from my blog...

A healthy chocolate milkshake
Beetroot and raspberry 
Avocado and spinach
Kale and cucumber 
Beetroot and carrot
Post workout vitamin smoothie


X x X


*or is a fruit cos it has seeds?!?



References

1 comment:

  1. Hi alice,

    Thanks for linking my cucumber post in your delicious smoothie recipe. I think I'll try out your recipe. I've never used cucumbers in a smoothie before.

    I shared your post on Twitter, Facebook and Google+.

    June

    ReplyDelete