Thursday 16 January 2014

Coconut oil - what are the health benefits?

Last summer, as I was preparing for the wedding, I was determined to be as healthy as I possibly could (I had heard horror stories from friends that the stress of planning a wedding caused them to be ill  in the weeks running up to the wedding). One of the things I started incorporating into my diet was good old  coconut oil.

However, post wedding, I foolishly gave up on all the good healthy habits I had acquired and now one of my new year’s resolutions is to be fit and healthy once more. The Boy has made this one of his too, so he has been reading up on his nutrition and fitness.

what the heck do I do with all this coconut oil?!

Last Saturday he came back with the much hyped about coconut oil. Not realising I still have half a massive tub left over from summer, he came back with two jars of it,  so now I have nearly three massive jars of the stuff!!!!

But it has got me thinking about coconut oil again (not in a weird way) and I have decided that I am going to start using it properly again. I am not really a fan of coconut but I actually like this stuff.


It comes in solid form in a jar, which you can scoop out depending on how much you need. It quickly melts to a liquid so I have been using it in my porridge to sweeten it. Pretty tasty. You can also use it like any other oil – I been using it in stir fries, curries and on my sweet potato wedges!


"a spoonful of coconut..."

I have heard all the excitement of coconut oil but why is it sooo good for you? After a bit of research, there is a whole heap of health benefits, which I want to share with you today…

  • Actively helps in preventing various heart problems like high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.
  • It is great for weight loss!
  • It strengthens the immune system
  • Aids in digestion
  • Lowers risk of diabetes
  • Hydrating for skin and helps reduce fine lines
  • Helps with sugar cravings
  • Strengthens the liver
  • It is a great stress reliever


With all these amazing health benefits, what’s not to love about coconut oil!
Love it? Hate it? Let me know!



I haven’t included the science behind these health benefits as this would seriously stretch the length of this blog post! But if you are intrigued, the websites I have research are:



Leave a comment if you have any more...

X x X 

No comments:

Post a Comment