Saturday 27 December 2014

The health benefits of an Epsom salt bath

With the cold weather setting in and the stress of Christmas, you'll be forgiven if you have a few aches and pains in your muscles. Along with regularly using my foam roller (I blogged about my love of this recently) I also try to treat my aches to a a very vigorous deep tissue massage (I went to Achilles in Fulham FYI, which is great). Jerry, my masseuse therapist, always suggests that I have a long soak in an epsom salt bath.

epsom salts don't bubble so add a little bubble bath!

I have heard about this before (thanks to my dad actually) but I didn’t realise how many health benefits there were from epsom salts. I must admit too, after a long soak I felt so much better, my aches and pains practically gone!


my tub of Epsom salts


Firstly though, what re Epsom salts?
Epsom salt is not actually a salt but a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulphate.

Here are some of the health benefits of using Epsom salts...

Health benefit one: restore magnesium levels
Magnesium actually plays an important role in the body including reducing inflammation, helping to prevent artery hardening and helping muscles and nerve functions. Most of us do not have high enough magnesium levels and as the body easily absorbs magnesium through the skin, an Epsom salt bath is an easy way to boost your levels.


Health benefit two: eases stress and relaxes the body
We all know stress is bad for us and I am guessing it is something you would welcome into your life like you would a swarm of wasps at a picnic. Stress drains the body of magnesium and increases levels of adrenaline. The magnesium in Epsom salts help to produce serotonin, a mood-enhancing chemical within the brain, helping to produce a feeling of calm and relaxation. When dissolved in warm water, the Epsom salt is absorbed through the skin and replenishes the level of magnesium in the body.



Health benefit three: relieve bed bug bites and bee stings
This is not one I knew of but the anti-inflammatory properties in Epsom salts also works to relieve insect bites and stings!

simply add to a warm bath


Health benefit four: relieves pain and muscle cramps and reduces inflammation
A soak in an Epsom salt bath can help reduce pain caused by inflammation, such as strains, sprains and other sporting injuries. This was the main reason for my Epsom salt bath! Plus, studies show that Epsom salts can help regulate electrolytes in your body, ensuring proper functioning of the muscles, nerves and enzymes, so perfect after a hard gym session!


Health benefits five: eliminates toxins from the body
The sulphates in Epsom salt help flush toxins from the body, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful toxins.

tired legs all soothed! 


The brilliant thing about Epsom salts as well is that they are pretty cheap as health products go! I bought a small 200g tub for £1.50 from Boots. And you don’t need to overdo the salts either.

How much to use:
  • Individuals between 60-100 lbs: Add 1 cup of salts to a standard size bath
  • Individuals between 100-150 lbs: Add 1 1/2 cup of salts to a standard size bath
  • Individuals between 150-200 lbs: Add 2 cups of salts to a standard size bath


If your body is in need of some TLC like Edward Cullen is in need of a spray tan, then why not treat yourself to a night in, with an Epsom salt, some candles and a good book!

X x X


Like the blog? Like my page on Facebook

I originally blogged about this on the 17 July but it seems more fitting for winter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment