Wednesday 11 February 2015

Apple sauce cupcakes (made with less sugar)

I love a good bake sale at work as it means I get to try new recipes all for a good cause. This week we had our first one of the year and I made these tasty little apple sauce cupcakes (I also made some cupcakes with a wickedly sweet icing and jam in the middle). 

boxed up and ready to take to the sale 

Whilst the jammy ones were laden with enough sugar to give you diabetes, these need less sugar than a normal cupcake recipe thanks to the apple sauce which adds to the sweetness. With the combination of apple and cinnamon these taste a little like apple pies! Easy to make and the sweet smell of cinnamon will fill your kitchen as you make these. mmm

warm and cinnamony 


Here is what you need:
1/2 cup butter
1 egg (beaten)
1/4 cup sugar
1 ½ cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup/jar apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla essence

makes 12 large cupcakes

carefully does it! 




Pre-heat the oven to 190*c

Blend the butter with the egg and sugar (I was lazy and used an electric whisk) 

Sift in the flour and add all the dry ingredients. I love cinnamon I was quite generous but feel free to adjust here and add less or more 

Add the apple sauce and vanilla essence and mix well with a wooden spoon 

Once mixed well, carefully spoon the mixture into cupcake cases. Pop these cinnamony delights in to the oven for about 15 minutes (use the middle shelf) 



sift the flour before you pop it in the bowl 

early morning baking 

Once they are cooked, carefully remove them and leave to cool on a wire rack. I would recommend eating these whilst they are still warm though as although they taste good when cooled, they'll taste amazing from the oven!

these are literally screaming "eat me now! 

Thanks to the apple sauce, these are a moist cake, and have a good consistency.

I have to apologise by the way for the huge t-shirt I am wearing! I made these at 7am before going to work and didn't want to get my work clothes dirty so decided the Boy's t-shirt over the top :-) Turns out he wasn't impressed with that. 

X x X

Like this? Then you'll love:


No comments:

Post a Comment