Tuesday 3 March 2015

Banoffee pie - with a hint of effort to make it healthier (and a blond moment)

It was a few weeks ago, for Valentine's day I decided to make a little treat for the Boy. A banoffee pie. 

Admittedly, it isn't the fanciest dessert in the world but the boy loves it and I don't make it that often (this was my second go in 4 years to be honest!) because I am not really a cream fanatic. 

the shaving off chocolate sets it off I think! 

I also decided to do my best and make it a little healthier by swapping some of the biscuits for oats in the base and swapping some of the cream for natural Greek yoghurt. Slightly healthier but still delicious.

hmmm, there is a layer missing here?!?!


Whilst this is an incredibly simple dish to make, my blondness still took over and I still managed to balls this one up! How? Well, I forgot to put the bananas in it!!! 

I didn't realise until the end, once all the photos were done and I was feeling pretty smug with myself and then I noticed my bananas sitting on the kitchen counter still! 

banoffee pie, with the banana on the side! 

So less "banoffee" and more just "offee" pie, I guess. Tasty none the less. I definitely got away with with too, by slicing and serving the banana on the side and finishing off with chocolate caramel balls! It just looked the kind of banoffee you are served in a fancy restaurant! 

Here is how to make the banoffee pie (with the banana in it!) 


For the base:
150g digestive biscuits
100g rolled oats 
100g unsalted butter

For the caramel centre:
150g light muscovado or soft brown sugar
150g unsalted butter
1 can of condensed milk (397g)
Pinch of sea salt
(cheat - buy it in a can! Carnation do a great one) 

For the topping:
2 large ripe bananas – sliced (essential)
100ml whipping cream
100 - 150 ml of Greek natural yoghurt 
1 tsp vanilla 
100g of milk chocolate, grated (optional)

crunchy and creamy

Crush the biscuits and oats into fine breadcrumbs via a food processor

In a bowl, mix together the melted butter and biscuit/oat crumbs and ensure all of it is coated with butter as this is what will ‘stick’ it together

 Pour the mixture into a shallow loose bottomed tin, about 23cm in diameter and press the biscuit mixture firmly down into the tin. if you can, slightly lip the mixture, so that it sits a bit higher up the pan. This creates a kind of bowl like base to contain the delicious filling! 

 Leave this to chill in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes.


I like a thick caramel layer! 


Meanwhile, get cracking with the caramel sauce – read my previous recipe on banoffee pie for the how to. If this is too much, cheat and buy it ready made in the can!!! 

Evenly spread the caramel on top of the biscuit base. 

This is where the banana is meant to come in - slice your banana and pop these on top of the caramel. Your creamy topping goes on top.


add a bit of icing sugar here is you fancy 
cool and creamy! 


To prepare the cream, simply whip the cream and yoghurt and vanilla essence up in a large bowl using an electric whisk into a thick in consistency.

Gently spoon the cream over the bananas. If you fancy, you can grate chocolate over the cream.

Carefully remove the pie from the fridge and serve immediately!



Ta-dah! See easy! 
Have you had any blond kitchen moments? Share them if so! 

Enjoy 

X x X 


like this? How about trying...

No comments:

Post a Comment