Friday 19 September 2014

Raw, vegan, healthy blueberry cheesecake

If you’ve got a sweet tooth like me, then you’ll sympathise with me when I say just how hard it is to skip the refined sugar from the healthy eating diet. On the whole I have a very healthy diet but sugar is my Achilles heel. So this year I have tried my hardest to start switching the desserts for healthier homemade alternatives.

healthy but delicious 

blueberries are full of antioxidants 


Regular readers of the blog will know I like cheesecake (regular readers will also know that’s an understatement and that I bloody love cheesecake), and I’ve already attempted a few homemade, low fat, raw recipes. Check out my no-bake raspberry jelly cheesecake and my mixed berry frozen cheesecake.

crunchy base and creamy filling 

My latest recipe, this blueberry cheesecake is raw, vegan friendly, and completely dairy, sugar and gluten free. Plus tastes pretty good. Plus all the kngredownts are natural, so there are no gidden nastiest or additives. It’s basically just fruit and nut.

Here's what you will need…

Ingredients
For the base
½ cup dates
3-4 figs


For the filling
½ cup Brazil nuts (feel free to use another nut) soaked overnight
1 cup of blueberries (I used fresh but frozen would work)
1 large banana (I used a frozen one that I have a stock of in my freezer)
¼ cup of coconut oil, melted
¼ agave nectar (honey will also work but has a higher G.I)
1 teaspoon of lemon juice

this is all you need for the base 


In a food processor, add the base ingredients and pulse until the Brazil nuts are finely chopped, to resemble a sort of breadcrumbs mixture. The stickiness of the dried fruit will bind the nuts together to form the base crust


In a spring form tray, pour in the mixture and press firmly down (get stuck in and use your hands). Pop this in the freezer to set whilst you make the filling

a light layer of coconut oil stops it from sticking

cheesecake base 


In the food processor again, add all the filling ingredients and blitz, blitz, blitz!

how pretty! 

Blend as much as you can to get the desired smooth filling. Pour this mixture onto the base and pop back into the freezer to set for at least two hours before serving


ready to serve 

mmmm 


Before eating, take the cheesecake out the freezer to thaw a little (about 15 minutes) before cutting and serving with a chuffed smile. I served mine with a few extra blueberries scattered on top.

X x X

No comments:

Post a Comment